Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized in January, 1896. The church members met in the Seventh Day Adventist Church on the corner of 12th and Hill (now Broadway & Mapleton) in Boulder. They were able to purchase this building, “the little white church” in January, 1900 for $1600.00. This small building was able to hold 200 people. It was Trinity’s home for 29 years. When the “little white church’s” capacity was being exceeded regularly it was time to search for a new home.
In 1927, the Glen H. Huntington architectural firm was contracted to design a new church building. The lead architect, Margaret Read, designed the building in a Gothic Revival style. According to the Daily Camera, Read designed many homes, sorority and fraternity houses in the University Hill neighborhood. Land was purchased on the corner of Broadway and Pine from the University of Colorado for $10,000.00 and ground was broken for a new church on April 19, 1929. It was dedicated in December, 1929 at the cost of $36,000.00. The Boulder City Council voted unanimously to give landmark status to this church structure in 2016.
With the end of WWII, Boulder was booming and by the mid 1950’s, Trinity had once again outgrown it facility and needed more space. In 1964, Hobart D. Wager and Associates designed the present sanctuary. The altar, cross, baptismal font and front doors were designed and executed by William Morton, a member of Trinity.
Once again, Trinity found itself needing more space. In September 1989 the most recent addition to the north along with the new narthex was built. The Chapel of Resurrection restoration was dedicated after the original 1929 sanctuary was turned into a Chapel used for smaller church services, education, and smaller concerts.
Today, Trinity is an exciting, vital congregation. Following our mission statement to be a mission outpost in a troubled world, we feel led by God to build downtown Boulder affordable senior housing, a multipurpose building for mission and ministry including fellowship, as well as work with the City of Boulder to afford parking spaces to our congregants and the public at large. The congregation joyfully broke ground in Fall 2016 to build on the church’s parking lot. We’re using our land, time, resources and talents to guide our future as a “Mission Outpost in a Troubled World.”